Thursday, February 28, 2013

living in history

Rome is full of history, as I'm sure you all know. 
the monuments, Caesar, Catholicism, the Pope, you get the picture.
that in itself attracted me to Rome because I'm a nerd and love history. little did I know, I would be living in a major historical event while I'm here.

Pope Benedict XVI officially resigned as Pope of the Catholic Church on February 28, 2013. 
this is the first time a pope has resigned in 600 years. that's a big deal. Pope's just don't go around resigning all the time.

well yesterday, I had the once in a lifetime opportunity to go hear his resignation speech at St. Peter's along with thousands of others. 
we stood and cheered as the Pope went around in his car waving to everyone. we sat and listened to all the different Cardinals address us in their native language.
we heard the Pope's resignation speech in Italian. 
we heard him address us in each major language represented. 
he blessed each of us and our families. 
and we heard him sing in Latin.
it was unreal.
literally a once in a lifetime opportunity.




 he is the little white dot sitting there.

now all of the Cardinals around the world must be locked in the conclave and elect the new pope.

I'll be looking for that white smoke.

lots of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment