Thursday, January 10, 2013

exploring.

I'm convinced that orientation anywhere is just overwhelming. 

the first day (yesterday) was alright, but to be honest, it overwhelmed me a lot. there was just so much that they talked about and told us that I just did not know what to do.  however, it was good because they told us how to get around Rome and other useful information about living here.  for example, they warned us to watch out for the "mano morta," which translated into English means "dead hand." not creepy at all. I bet you are wondering what it is.  well, let's just say it's creepy and disgusting and I'll leave it at that.  hopefully I will not encounter any dead hands...hopefully.

also, yesterday I walked back to my apartment alone for the first time. and what they say about Italian men is true. they are just not afraid to openly look at you and say things. no worries, mom and dad, nobody touched me or stole anything and I was safe. but I'm not really painting a good picture of Rome here am I....woops. so let's get to the good stuff.

one of my roommates and I (there are 6 of us total) went exploring in our neighborhood a bit later that night. we were stunned that we live here. I'll let the pictures do the talking.

 so we walked up these stairs covered in ivy and trees because we heard there was a park behind our street and we found this beautiful church. not entirely sure what it is, but it's pretty nonetheless. 

  it also had a beautiful view of the city.

 and inside some gates, there was this. I'm sure this is something important, but I wish I knew what it is...if you know please enlighten me. 

 we continued walking and stumbled upon this fountain. it was gorgeous.  

we found the park, but it was closed so we kept walking down this street for more. I'm obsessed with these trees. can you imagine how beautiful they will be once spring comes? sigh.

finally at the top of the hill we see this little statue. there were busts of men's heads lining the way up and also a little arcade thing which we thought was random/funny. anyways, I'm sure this is also important, but I just don't know what it is....shame on me.

the statue faces this spectacular view of the city with the mountains in the back. I was speechless. it's just so beautiful and I live here. no big deal. 

I'm still pretty shocked that I actually live here. especially when I'm sitting in my apartment or walking down the street because I just don't realize I'm in Rome. but like today, I was walking with some people by the Tiber river and we crossed this bridge and looked back and there was the Castel Sant'Angelo just right in front of us. like what?! and I live here?! too incredible. 

I am just amazed at the beauty of this city and the fact that it has been here for an extremely long time. so much history...I love it.  I can't wait to go explore some more. 

I really could write on and on about orientation and the city and everything, but I don't want to bore you.  I'm realizing though that this whole blogging thing is fun!!  I like it and will try to update as much as possible. 

xoxo 

1 comment: